Mom & Me One Archive: 2002-2003
The definitive, eccentric journal of an unlikely caregiver.
As of 1/18/04 this journal continues at The Mom & Me Journals dot Net.

7 minute Audio Introduction to The Mom & Me Journals

My purpose in establishing and maintaining this journal
is to undermine the isolation of the caregiving experience
by offering all, especially our loved ones, a window into our lives.
As I post to this journal I think of our loved ones and their families,
how busy and involved we all are, and that,
if and when they come to this site they can be assured
that they will miss nothing in our lives and will, thereby, recognize us
and relax easily into our arms and our routines
when we are again face to face.

Legend of Journal Abbreviations
 APF = A Prescott Friend (generic) 
 DU = Dead Uncle 
 LTF = Long Time Friend a.k.a: 
   MFASRF = My Fucking Anal San Rafael Friend 
 MA = Mom's Accountant 
 MCF = My Chandler Friend(s) 
 MCS = My Colorado Sister 
 MDL = My Dead Lover 
 MFLNF = My Former Lover Now Friend 
 MLDL = My Long Distance Lover 
 MFA = Mom's Financial Advisor 
 MFS = My Florida Sister 
 MPBIL = My Phoenix Brother-in-Law 
 MPF = My Phoenix Friend (generic) 
 MPNC = My Phoenix NieCe 
 MPNP = My Phoenix NePhew 
 MPS = My Phoenix Sister 
 MS = Mom's Sister 
 MTNDN = My Treasured Next Door Neighor 
 OCC = Our Construction Company 
Monday, November 17, 2003
 
What was the name of the place we used to live...
...Palmas del Sol?"
    Did you catch that? "...the place we used to live...". She asked this late this morning. Mesa is in the past for her now. This wrenches my heart a bit. I know both the quantity and the quality of emotional attachment she had toward that place. I also know how well she does here, how much she likes it, how easy it has been for her to divorce herself from the mobile home in Mesa.
    It's true that we have 100% more company up here and, as such, we see our people more often. The sun agrees with my mother and we have loads of it all winter. The colors, the view, the ambiance of our property all agree with her. The last four weeks have been very hard on her due to spraining her back but we're getting through that. I'm convinced, since it was due to my mother's too good generosity of nature that got her into this fix, that eventually something of a similar sort would have happened. Now I know not to do anything around her in which I really don't want her attempting to participate. Hard lesson to learn and initiate but worth it.
    I spoke with the acupuncturist earlier. I am very confident about the appointment we made with her for Wednesday morning at 1000. Mom is hanging in there. Her color looks good (better than yesterday; she attributes this to us having baked ham last night and this morning, one of her favorite foods) and her back is still "giving [her] fits".
    Sometimes, while sitting quietly, her creative memory will dump the file that tells her she is having back problems. She'll move suddenly or in a way her back currently deems unseemly and she'll cast me a look of surprise and say, "My back!" as though this is the first time it's done what she calls "grabbing".
    This has been going on long enough. The truth is, I was leaving whether I call the acupuncturist up to her because, at the moment her debilitation gives her very few choices including small things like whether or not to drink something, whether or not to eat, etc. Since her back will eventually improve and I can see some small improvement day to day I decided to let her call the shots on this one. She hasn't been completely against treatment. One of her favorite shows though, "Everwood", features a doctor who practices acupuncture. Since I have begun talking up treatment, the show has featured two episodes in which acupuncture is used. I think the sight of the needles took my mother aback. She is used to me talking about the "acupressure" techniques I use on the soles of her feet and what this stimulation does, but the needle/electronic stimulation surprised her. It took this last weekend of me watching her wince in pain when her back "grabbed" and me bursting into sobs for me to finally take her choice out of her hands and tell her that on Monday I was going to call and seek treatment.
    At this point, a brief history of how we came to seek out acupuncture is in order (dates exact, unless otherwise stated):
  1. October 25, 2003, 1330: Mom falls backward and sprains her back. She immediately rolls over, pulls herself to a sitting position on a low step, says she isn't hurt, then her back grabs as she leans forward.
  2. She insists "nothing is broken", although her only experience of broken bones is decades old and is a tail bone that wasn't detected for years and, when detected, was removed, also decades ago. She is, though, moving around, the wind was not knocked out of her, she is in obvious pain but "ambulatory" so, for better or worse, I accede to her wish not to go the ER.
  3. Monday morning, after a bad Sunday, I overrule her preference to stay out of the ER.
        "They won't do anything, just send me home with pain killers, and I don't want that."
        Which is exactly what they did. I couldn't lift her and she was so stiff and sore I wasn't sure she could move in any way she hadn't been moving over the last 36 hours. I called an ambulance, called her doctor in Mesa and we went to the ER. The stay was a little over 2 hours. They stimulated her back electronically and did a few things to her that caused her to vomit. She vomited a little fresh blood, their ministrations caused her exceeding discomfort, they did a poor job of cleaning her up, gave her a prescription for Vicodin and sent her home. With me. In great pain.
        It seems that the fresh blood was from the large amounts of ibuprofen I'd been feeding her over the weekend and that morning but the vomiting wasn't from that. However, I learned my lesson quickly. Despite the high occurrence of constipation on Vicodin and my mother's tricky-at-best bowels, I decided to give her the Vicodin. It caused extreme dopiness, which made it difficult to keep her moving as the physical therapist suggested, only barely dulled the pain, made it even more difficult to keep her hydrated, which was already more of a chore than usual and she did not feel good or look good on it. During the first week and a half of intense pain, though, I kept her on it, although judiciously.
  4. At this point our supply of Vicodin ran out and so did suppliers. I spent this week and a half finding out that it would be impossible for us to find appropriate, and appropriately timed, physician follow-up in this town, her Mesa doctor was unwilling to treat or prescribe over the phone, our only recourse for any kind of follow-up was the ER again or Urgent Care and we both knew exactly what would happen at either of these places. In the meantime I had secured her a "new patient" appointment with a highly recommended physician here, for, unfortunately, December 1st. Now we were stuck with Time and only Time as the healer and Mom's bowels were impacting.
  5. I administered an enema to Mom on November 5th. Although it sounds intolerable coupled with the pain of a sprained back, something told me that it would offer immediate relief. It did. It alleviated a lot of pressure, did not cause any more pain, and her spirits improved immensely.
  6. Time does heal but sometimes not quickly enough. A friend in Prescott recommended acupuncture about two weeks ago. I talked it up and Mom sounded game until she saw the episodes of "Everwood" in which acupuncture was used. Although she is not known to be afraid of needles it gave her cause to rethink the treatment.
  7. Two weeks hence, in utter frustration, I am now dictating the treatment.
    This afternoon, as I can, I'm going to begin updating this site and will be adding a second tier to it, the url to be published later today, probably. I'm going to slowly phase out using this auto-sitebuilder Earthlink provides and start hand crafting my pages and uploaded them via FTP. That should help keep my count straight. I've also found two new possibilities for blogging software, both of which I intend to try on the new site. I'll let you know when to switch over and provide a great big link to the continuing portion of this website. Parts of it may migrate back and forth from time to time but I will keep you updated here and on changes.
    It's good to be back.
    Later.
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger