Mom & Me One Archive: 2002-2003
The definitive, eccentric journal of an unlikely caregiver.
As of 1/18/04 this journal continues at The Mom & Me Journals dot Net.

7 minute Audio Introduction to The Mom & Me Journals

My purpose in establishing and maintaining this journal
is to undermine the isolation of the caregiving experience
by offering all, especially our loved ones, a window into our lives.
As I post to this journal I think of our loved ones and their families,
how busy and involved we all are, and that,
if and when they come to this site they can be assured
that they will miss nothing in our lives and will, thereby, recognize us
and relax easily into our arms and our routines
when we are again face to face.

Legend of Journal Abbreviations
 APF = A Prescott Friend (generic) 
 DU = Dead Uncle 
 LTF = Long Time Friend a.k.a: 
   MFASRF = My Fucking Anal San Rafael Friend 
 MA = Mom's Accountant 
 MCF = My Chandler Friend(s) 
 MCS = My Colorado Sister 
 MDL = My Dead Lover 
 MFLNF = My Former Lover Now Friend 
 MLDL = My Long Distance Lover 
 MFA = Mom's Financial Advisor 
 MFS = My Florida Sister 
 MPBIL = My Phoenix Brother-in-Law 
 MPF = My Phoenix Friend (generic) 
 MPNC = My Phoenix NieCe 
 MPNP = My Phoenix NePhew 
 MPS = My Phoenix Sister 
 MS = Mom's Sister 
 MTNDN = My Treasured Next Door Neighor 
 OCC = Our Construction Company 
Wednesday, September 17, 2003
 
She was...
...very hard to move, this morning (that's Tuesday morning). When I decided to awaken her at 0915 and take her with me on all errands she was sleeping what I think of as a death sleep or being comatose. I felt bad but I also knew some of this was due to her unmanageable blood sugar spike yesterday which I thought I might have treated.
    No such luck. Although she was game for breakfast and was up an hour she begged off the first errand, getting purified water and picking up a few fresh salad vegetables at the grocery.
    I routed her out of bed again when I returned about an hour later. I decided that she would use the portable oxygen on our trip, including at Costco. She balked, saying that she didn't want anyone to think she needed it. I insisted, explaining once again how it is not simply a lifelong nuisance, it is therapy which she can use in a way to strengthen her lungs, her body, and thus enjoy life more. As I spouted this propaganda she liked it.
    At Costco, luckily, there were two robust elders on portable oxygen. I did not go out of my way to point them out to her but I saw her looking at them. I mentioned them later. She did not remember seeing them. She was, however, completely comfortable with the oxygen during our trek through Costco.
    Her stamina during the Costco visit was remarkable enough so that she commented on it. She had no desire to rest and wheeled about from sampling kiosk to sampling kiosk. We needed only a few things but we did the store. Traffic in the store was unusually light, which was good. She decided, on her own, to peruse the Christmas section, including the edibles, although she did not reach for any.
    When I got the 214 reading prior to lunch, after she'd spent the entire morning in bed except for the two hours involving the Costco trip, I hustled her. Lunch was light, and one of her favorites: cottage cheese with lots of black pepper, 12 oz V-8 juice and about half a bag of popcorn. Her snacking at Costco didn't create a problem, as she came in one point above normal just before dinner.
    I administered metformin at each meal today. I've also been spending the day preparing her for our busy day tomorrow which will include her first appointment with her Prescott hair stylist in a year and a book club meeting tomorrow night. She was energetic this evening and is looking forward to everything.
    So am I.
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger