Mom & Me One Archive: 2002-2003
The definitive, eccentric journal of an unlikely caregiver.
As of 1/18/04 this journal continues at The Mom & Me Journals dot Net.

7 minute Audio Introduction to The Mom & Me Journals

My purpose in establishing and maintaining this journal
is to undermine the isolation of the caregiving experience
by offering all, especially our loved ones, a window into our lives.
As I post to this journal I think of our loved ones and their families,
how busy and involved we all are, and that,
if and when they come to this site they can be assured
that they will miss nothing in our lives and will, thereby, recognize us
and relax easily into our arms and our routines
when we are again face to face.

Legend of Journal Abbreviations
 APF = A Prescott Friend (generic) 
 DU = Dead Uncle 
 LTF = Long Time Friend a.k.a: 
   MFASRF = My Fucking Anal San Rafael Friend 
 MA = Mom's Accountant 
 MCF = My Chandler Friend(s) 
 MCS = My Colorado Sister 
 MDL = My Dead Lover 
 MFLNF = My Former Lover Now Friend 
 MLDL = My Long Distance Lover 
 MFA = Mom's Financial Advisor 
 MFS = My Florida Sister 
 MPBIL = My Phoenix Brother-in-Law 
 MPF = My Phoenix Friend (generic) 
 MPNC = My Phoenix NieCe 
 MPNP = My Phoenix NePhew 
 MPS = My Phoenix Sister 
 MS = Mom's Sister 
 MTNDN = My Treasured Next Door Neighor 
 OCC = Our Construction Company 
Saturday, September 20, 2003
 
No glucose testing, no med reports (well, maybe one)...
...and very nearly no journal entry.
    I awoke this morning feeling, well, not good; a combination of physical and emotional not good. I noticed yesterday what I thought was an ear infection. It was some sort of an abscess in my ear that apparently burst last night. That might have led to my extreme lethargy today. Something else was still hitting Mom, I don't know what but I didn't have the energy to battle it. She spent most of the day in bed. I went back to bed after an early, hard morning and decided not to bother with our regular routine except to make sure Mom remained fairly well hydrated and internally bathed in oxygen.
    Since she didn't eat this morning, she refused although she looked good and drank water and coffee, I didn't give her any diabetic medication or anything else. She was up for less than an hour. I went back to bed, fell asleep in a tight fetal position (which is almost unheard of for me) after having only early coffee, which did nothing to enliven me, and re-awoke about 1330 still inordinately sad and physically low but unable to sleep anymore. Mom awoke soon after...I knew she was going to, she had begun to cough...she always coughs just before she awakens.
    So, little by little, as we played best 3 out of 5 Sorry and a very interesting game of Scrabble, she ate and drank: Orange juice, popcorn, V-8 juice (all these preceded by a glipizide). Later in the evening I made us bacon, lettuce and tomato sandwiches, gave her 1000 mg metformin and coaxed her to drink water all evening, topping everything off with a Detrol before she went to bed at 2200.
    This afternoon and evening I revived some, noticed that my ear no longer hurt and that it had been draining and installed a paper towel rack below a kitchen cabinet and cup hooks on the upper shelf of our entertainment center, which was recently christened a dining room hutch.
    Oddly, none of my sadness was about my situation here with my mother. At first it was amorphous, so it was probably catalyzed by the ear infection; then, it was a general tiredness, both physical and emotional, even as I revived. At any rate, I'm lucky that my "situation here with my mother" allows for an occasional day when neither she nor I can hack the medical routine anymore and we both give in to, well, whatever we gave in to today.
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger