Mom & Me One Archive: 2002-2003
The definitive, eccentric journal of an unlikely caregiver.
As of 1/18/04 this journal continues at The Mom & Me Journals dot Net.

7 minute Audio Introduction to The Mom & Me Journals

My purpose in establishing and maintaining this journal
is to undermine the isolation of the caregiving experience
by offering all, especially our loved ones, a window into our lives.
As I post to this journal I think of our loved ones and their families,
how busy and involved we all are, and that,
if and when they come to this site they can be assured
that they will miss nothing in our lives and will, thereby, recognize us
and relax easily into our arms and our routines
when we are again face to face.

Legend of Journal Abbreviations
 APF = A Prescott Friend (generic) 
 DU = Dead Uncle 
 LTF = Long Time Friend a.k.a: 
   MFASRF = My Fucking Anal San Rafael Friend 
 MA = Mom's Accountant 
 MCF = My Chandler Friend(s) 
 MCS = My Colorado Sister 
 MDL = My Dead Lover 
 MFLNF = My Former Lover Now Friend 
 MLDL = My Long Distance Lover 
 MFA = Mom's Financial Advisor 
 MFS = My Florida Sister 
 MPBIL = My Phoenix Brother-in-Law 
 MPF = My Phoenix Friend (generic) 
 MPNC = My Phoenix NieCe 
 MPNP = My Phoenix NePhew 
 MPS = My Phoenix Sister 
 MS = Mom's Sister 
 MTNDN = My Treasured Next Door Neighor 
 OCC = Our Construction Company 
Sunday, September 14, 2003
 
I think Mom is recovering from the move...
...which isn't quite over, but at least we've relocated base camp. Although she has had more oxygen in the last 36 hours than she has for a long time, the rest of her body needs to adjust and her mind needs to wrap itself a little more firmly around being up here.
   I was a little surprised at her blood glucose reading this morning (just 5 minutes short of noon). I think, if nothing else, it proves that without glipizide, metformin does very little for my mother. She got her glipizide this morning though, and an iron pill and a Detrol (although she's quite dehydrated, but I'm working on that). She's looking good, just stunned tired.
    When I awoke at 0515 (I am irrepressible up here) I noticed it looked as though she had been up a few times in the middle of the night (we went to bed at 2330) hunting for cigarettes. She didn't find any; I can tell because the ashtrays were clean. The reason I know she was up twice is that she filled two separate glasses with water. They were sitting side by side on the table this morning. The first thing she usually does in the middle of the night is fill a glass with water at the kitchen sink then she proceeds to her chair.
    I'm not going to be hard on her today but I'm going to get her moving a little, although she's decided not to take a bath, "yet." We need a few minor necessities so I'm taking her to the grocery. It won't be a long trip and we'll take it slow but I want to get her in the habit of moving a little every day.
    She hasn't mentioned, this morning, any of her fancy talk from yesterday evening about moving up here permanently. We'll see how it goes. I noticed at breakfast, she was breathing in those short, hard sucks, sounding almost like the puff of the OCD in the car yesterday. I put her back on oxygen after she awoke (she took herself off before she stood away from the bed) until she remembered that she smokes and found some cigarettes in her purse (thank god she didn't find them last night). I'm sure she'll need to use oxygen more frequently, up here.
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger