Mom & Me One Archive: 2002-2003
The definitive, eccentric journal of an unlikely caregiver.
As of 1/18/04 this journal continues at The Mom & Me Journals dot Net.

7 minute Audio Introduction to The Mom & Me Journals

My purpose in establishing and maintaining this journal
is to undermine the isolation of the caregiving experience
by offering all, especially our loved ones, a window into our lives.
As I post to this journal I think of our loved ones and their families,
how busy and involved we all are, and that,
if and when they come to this site they can be assured
that they will miss nothing in our lives and will, thereby, recognize us
and relax easily into our arms and our routines
when we are again face to face.

Legend of Journal Abbreviations
 APF = A Prescott Friend (generic) 
 DU = Dead Uncle 
 LTF = Long Time Friend a.k.a: 
   MFASRF = My Fucking Anal San Rafael Friend 
 MA = Mom's Accountant 
 MCF = My Chandler Friend(s) 
 MCS = My Colorado Sister 
 MDL = My Dead Lover 
 MFLNF = My Former Lover Now Friend 
 MLDL = My Long Distance Lover 
 MFA = Mom's Financial Advisor 
 MFS = My Florida Sister 
 MPBIL = My Phoenix Brother-in-Law 
 MPF = My Phoenix Friend (generic) 
 MPNC = My Phoenix NieCe 
 MPNP = My Phoenix NePhew 
 MPS = My Phoenix Sister 
 MS = Mom's Sister 
 MTNDN = My Treasured Next Door Neighor 
 OCC = Our Construction Company 
Thursday, September 18, 2003
 
Days like today...
...make me wonder how much we as a species really know about life blood glucose histories. She's running classically high today in everything including her vitality. I can't argue with success, although I have no idea to whom or what the success is owed.
    Lately I've wondered what her blood sugar used to run when she was teaching, we were all in school and she'd pop caramels all day then bolster herself with a dish of ice cream at 2300 or midnight. Do we really know, I wonder, what's normal for blood glucose across the board? Is it possible to run high or at least spikey all your life and avoid the degenerations typical of diabetics, all of them linked through the certainty of kidney disease, the classic version of which my mother does not have?
    Although her day has not included much exercise, she's been meeting old friends and is due to reunite with others tonight. I've been telling her that I'd prefer she use the oxygen tonight but, you know, maybe we'll wait. She used oxygen throughout her nap and she is pink (just this side of an unusually iron rich red) and alert. She looks good. Her hair stylist here loves to experiment on Mom and she did so today, in celebration of our reunion, I think.
    Walking into the salon was like watching a debugged program kick in. Mom swore before this morning that she didn't remember the salon. We drove by it yesterday but it didn't fire across any synapses. Today though, when she walked in, everything snapped into place and she trotted right over to the sitting area. I'm sure she recognized her hair stylist. We were all delighted to be back together. My mother even countered my version of events since a year ago today, the day we left for Mesa because her feet were swelling unnaturally. The day this all began.
    Time to get ready to go to the book club meeting.
    thankyou
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger