Mom & Me One Archive: 2002-2003
The definitive, eccentric journal of an unlikely caregiver.
As of 1/18/04 this journal continues at The Mom & Me Journals dot Net.

7 minute Audio Introduction to The Mom & Me Journals

My purpose in establishing and maintaining this journal
is to undermine the isolation of the caregiving experience
by offering all, especially our loved ones, a window into our lives.
As I post to this journal I think of our loved ones and their families,
how busy and involved we all are, and that,
if and when they come to this site they can be assured
that they will miss nothing in our lives and will, thereby, recognize us
and relax easily into our arms and our routines
when we are again face to face.

Legend of Journal Abbreviations
 APF = A Prescott Friend (generic) 
 DU = Dead Uncle 
 LTF = Long Time Friend a.k.a: 
   MFASRF = My Fucking Anal San Rafael Friend 
 MA = Mom's Accountant 
 MCF = My Chandler Friend(s) 
 MCS = My Colorado Sister 
 MDL = My Dead Lover 
 MFLNF = My Former Lover Now Friend 
 MLDL = My Long Distance Lover 
 MFA = Mom's Financial Advisor 
 MFS = My Florida Sister 
 MPBIL = My Phoenix Brother-in-Law 
 MPF = My Phoenix Friend (generic) 
 MPNC = My Phoenix NieCe 
 MPNP = My Phoenix NePhew 
 MPS = My Phoenix Sister 
 MS = Mom's Sister 
 MTNDN = My Treasured Next Door Neighor 
 OCC = Our Construction Company 
Tuesday, August 05, 2003
 
I spent some time visiting a friend this afternoon.
    It was the kind of visit I wanted to do on my own and it had been difficult to rouse my mother for her hair appointment this morning. She didn't nod off in the chair but she was tired, she'd had two busy days and wanted to go home and take a nap so I took advantage of her desire so I could have some much needed alone visiting. I promised her I'd come home with Chinese food around 1730. I was "right on the button," as she noted when she roused from her nap on the couch as I returned. I figured she'd be sleeping all afternoon so I was surprised she remembered anything about my being away.
    She saw my bags and asked if I'd brought dinner...another surprise. She moved getting-up slow but, once up, she advanced on her TV table to clear it for dinner.
    "Chinese Food," I said, holding up one of three bags. I couldn't resist adding a "Remember?"
    She answered honestly, "No, but I'm glad you did!"
    After dinner, during which she teased me about my chopstick technique [Which is deplorable, considering that where I was raised, on Guam, there we a few restaurants we frequented that provided only chopsticks and we regularly used chopsticks at home when eating Asian. I think this disability is companion to another; I cannot knit, although I can crochet so well I've made up a few of my own stitches.].
    I mentioned over my shoulder as I was clearing dishes and setting up the dishwasher, "We need to go to Costco tomorrow."
    "What do we need?" she asked, as automatically as if I'd assumed "we" meant we were going together.
    "Not a lot, but hand washing dish detergent, definitely orange juice, we've barely got enough for tomorrow..."
    "We'd better go tomorrow, then."
    I could have leapt 5 feet and cheered but I acted nonchalant. I didn't want to compromise the moment by questioning the normalcy she was taking for granted. I felt as though we were two years in the past and having a typical auto-discussion about household matters to which we needed to attend. "Okay, well, I'll get you up around 0900, we'll fool around a little bit, eat breakfast, get dressed, go to Costco, and maybe after we shop we'll get one of those polish sausages with sauerkraut."
    "Sounds good."
    I waited for a moment then ventured once more, "I was thinking maybe we could take a delivery trip up to Prescott next Wednesday, make a day of it, enjoy ourselves, maybe take a bag lunch to the Square after we unload..."
    "That would be a nice change of scenery. Maybe we could go to a restaurant..."
    anythingyousayMom,anything

    thankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyou
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger