Mom & Me One Archive: 2002-2003
The definitive, eccentric journal of an unlikely caregiver.
As of 1/18/04 this journal continues at The Mom & Me Journals dot Net.

7 minute Audio Introduction to The Mom & Me Journals

My purpose in establishing and maintaining this journal
is to undermine the isolation of the caregiving experience
by offering all, especially our loved ones, a window into our lives.
As I post to this journal I think of our loved ones and their families,
how busy and involved we all are, and that,
if and when they come to this site they can be assured
that they will miss nothing in our lives and will, thereby, recognize us
and relax easily into our arms and our routines
when we are again face to face.

Legend of Journal Abbreviations
 APF = A Prescott Friend (generic) 
 DU = Dead Uncle 
 LTF = Long Time Friend a.k.a: 
   MFASRF = My Fucking Anal San Rafael Friend 
 MA = Mom's Accountant 
 MCF = My Chandler Friend(s) 
 MCS = My Colorado Sister 
 MDL = My Dead Lover 
 MFLNF = My Former Lover Now Friend 
 MLDL = My Long Distance Lover 
 MFA = Mom's Financial Advisor 
 MFS = My Florida Sister 
 MPBIL = My Phoenix Brother-in-Law 
 MPF = My Phoenix Friend (generic) 
 MPNC = My Phoenix NieCe 
 MPNP = My Phoenix NePhew 
 MPS = My Phoenix Sister 
 MS = Mom's Sister 
 MTNDN = My Treasured Next Door Neighor 
 OCC = Our Construction Company 
Saturday, July 19, 2003
 
Yet another 10 mg of furosemide...
...even though Mom moved about more than usual yesterday. It was a hair day, a blood draw day and an eating-lunch-out day. She was shuffling a bit more than usual but this may be because of something I discovered a few days ago: It seems that on Monday of this last week, while I walked over to the man's house who trimmed our orange trees and returned a saw he left that I hadn't earlier discovered, Mom decided to get the mail. Barefoot. She headed out at, thankfully, at the same time that MTNDN was coming out to pick up her own mail and a woman who lives in the park was driving by. Good thing because MTNDN reports that Mom's knees buckled and she collapsed. She was assisted quickly, herself and our mail was retrieved, and by the time I got back she was sitting at the dining room table gleefully ripping open the mail. That evening my mother went to bed early, refusing a leg rub (she seemed so tired that I gave in). It was not until the next morning that MTNDN told me about the fall. I guess she thought I knew about it. Sure enough, when Mom awoke and I insisted on performing a leg rub did I notice the blisters over the pads of the balls of her feet.
    Mom didn't have any memory of the incident. Other than the bruises, she seemed fine but she's been a bit slower since then, both, I think, because of the increased sensitivity of her feet (which she denies) and the tiny bruise on the outside of her left foot which was probably the foot she fell on. I scolded her, gently, for going outside in the summer without shoes on, or anytime, for that matter, but, other than that I let the incident go. I'm considering it a lesson to myself, though. I need to keep a somewhat keener eye on her. It has seemed to both Mom and me that I've been overly watchful but, apparently, on that day I could have been even more so.
    I'm not castigating myself for this. There are bound to be times, especially since my mother's sense of independence is still very high, that incidents like this are going to happen. My goal is to simply take my cues from their type and frequency and continue on from there. I know that I am providing more scrutiny than she would have had in any other caregiving situation; and yet, a mail-box visit here, a trip to the bathroom there is going to slip through the cracks in my vigilance. My goal is to keep those slips to a minimum.
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger