Mom & Me One Archive: 2002-2003
The definitive, eccentric journal of an unlikely caregiver.
As of 1/18/04 this journal continues at The Mom & Me Journals dot Net.

7 minute Audio Introduction to The Mom & Me Journals

My purpose in establishing and maintaining this journal
is to undermine the isolation of the caregiving experience
by offering all, especially our loved ones, a window into our lives.
As I post to this journal I think of our loved ones and their families,
how busy and involved we all are, and that,
if and when they come to this site they can be assured
that they will miss nothing in our lives and will, thereby, recognize us
and relax easily into our arms and our routines
when we are again face to face.

Legend of Journal Abbreviations
 APF = A Prescott Friend (generic) 
 DU = Dead Uncle 
 LTF = Long Time Friend a.k.a: 
   MFASRF = My Fucking Anal San Rafael Friend 
 MA = Mom's Accountant 
 MCF = My Chandler Friend(s) 
 MCS = My Colorado Sister 
 MDL = My Dead Lover 
 MFLNF = My Former Lover Now Friend 
 MLDL = My Long Distance Lover 
 MFA = Mom's Financial Advisor 
 MFS = My Florida Sister 
 MPBIL = My Phoenix Brother-in-Law 
 MPF = My Phoenix Friend (generic) 
 MPNC = My Phoenix NieCe 
 MPNP = My Phoenix NePhew 
 MPS = My Phoenix Sister 
 MS = Mom's Sister 
 MTNDN = My Treasured Next Door Neighor 
 OCC = Our Construction Company 
Thursday, July 24, 2003
 
To MFS: I'm not sure where to start.
     It's VERY strange! The last thing the colonoscopist (gastroenterologist, actually) said was: "I do not ever want to do a colonoscopy on this woman again!"
    Although I was pretty sure I knew why she was saying this, I asked her why.
    "She's 85," she said. "I don't want to torture her again." At this point Mom was still very woozy from the meds given her to relax her for the procedure, although her spirits were up and she was doing well. She fared very well throughout the procedure, as she did throughout The Cleansing. I did have to keep after her constantly to drink and drink and drink but the laxatives, while heavy duty, worked very quickly each time she took them and, although we also went to bed late because the last dose, at 2200, was as effective as the first dose at 1600 (the Dulcolax didn't actually have any effect...unless it softened her up for the next round of Phospho Soda). But by 0030 a.m. when Mom went to bed after one last push of Gatorade, although she arose twice after that before we got up to go for the procedure, it was only to pee. She stayed well hydrated, was well pinked, and was up almost the whole time, except for a one hour nap in the afternoon.
    Well, yesterday, although she was still woozy and very light on her feet (so much so that I slept just outside her bedroom again last night, half in and half out of the utility room actually), her improved alertness was so evident that when I called MCS to let her know about how the procedure went and she talked to Mom, MCS said (and I noticed as I listened to Mom's side) that Mom was amazingly alert; even more so than a short bout of alertness she had a couple of weeks ago for a little over a day.
    But, the amazing development occurred today. I was up early, and so was Mom, to pee, and, MFS, it's as though the clock has been rolled back a couple of years! She's more alert than she's been in literally, years, she's somewhat surer on her feet, and, listen to this...I have to go to Costco today, we're almost out of several staples like eggs and orange juice...and she wants to go! MFS, she hasn't wanted to go to any store with me in a long, long time, over a year.
    I'm not sure whether it was The Cleansing or the colonoscopy. She had lots of polyps, all of which were removed, as far as I know. We, of course, won't get the pathology report back for about a week, but the colonoscopist said none of them looked suspicious. I'm now wondering, if the colonoscopist knew of the amazing change that has taken place in Mom, if she would feel the same. Not that I plan to get her scoped, again. In fact, I am going to see to it that scoping from either end, or any other invasive types of testing, be kept from an absolute minimum to zero. I'm also going to write the colonoscopist a letter, today, let her know that Mom's recovery is practically miraculous and ask her if, in her opinion,
  1. it was the removal of polyps or The Cleansing that did it,
  2. if she thinks it was The Cleansing, would it be appropriate to do a mild version of it every once in awhile on Mom, and
  3. if this changes her opinion of Mom's frailty in regards to what may be, in the future, the necessity of having her scoped, again.
    MFS, this morning our 85 year old yard man dropped by while Mom was up. I was so incredibly amazed at Mom's recovery from the last few years that I went out to let him know. He told me that the same thing happened to him about a year ago. He had a colonoscopy, had some polyps removed (not as many as Mom) and confirmed that immediately after the entire procedure, including The Cleansing, he felt "1000% better than [he's] felt in years!"
    At this point, I'm leaning toward thinking it was The Cleansing, as the colonoscopist said that although Mom had lots of polyps, none of them was interferring with her functioning. And, there was no evidence of internal bleeding in her lower intestines. She also said that she recommended, if the search for internal bleeding continues in her upper digestive tract, to confine the search to imaging tests, not to scope her. Regardless of what happens now, I think that's a good policy, but, I'm so curious about what's really going on inside her and what "did the trick".
    Anyway, MCS and I had a long discussion about this yesterday, even before the continuation of Mom's awaking from her Long Sleep. MCS suggested something we hadn't considered...that some of Mom's medication is suppressing bone marrow production. In fact, this sounds like a likely avenue of investigation to me, too. She is not in the classic category of the Overmedicated Elderly, but, for herself she could be, and my first suspect is the Glucophage. The reason I am so leary of this one is that, during The Cleansing day, as you know, just to get her to drink fluids she had lots of sugared fluids, and, as well, her PCP said not only to cut her meds in half that day but to stop the Glucophage because it is hard on the kidneys and keep her off it on the day of the procedure as well. Needless to say, I did not take her blood sugar during The Cleansing, nor yesterday before the procedure. I was afraid to. Well, the hospital took it and, low and behold, at 0815, after an evening of sugar-sugar-sugar, her blood sugar was 106! So, I'm going to try a little experiment. Beginning today, I am only going to give her the Glucotrol and monitor her blood sugar 3 times a day, starting this evening. I'm thinking that maybe, now, she doesn't need to be on Glucophage, or, if she needs something extra, maybe something else besides that.
    At any rate, the colonoscopist said try to regulate her diet for high fiber, and, MFS, when I discussed that with Mom this morning, she said, "Let's give it a try." Can you believe that?!? So, we are. I'm hoping that maybe, all in all, almost everything that has been afflicting Mom for the past several years can be taken care of through diet and the occasional cleansing.
    MFS, I'm being as circumspect as possible about all this and, of course, only time will tell, but, well, if you could talk to Mom and see her I think you'd share in my extreme optimism. Although I don't think I was wrong last fall about backing off from the colonoscopy, I don't think I was wrong, this spring, about finally allowing it, if only because it forced a thorough cleansing of her insides.
    I'll keep you updated on not only Mom's health progress, but our progress in getting up to Prescott, soon (after August 12th, I'm sure). If you don't hear from me for awhile, check in on the website, as I will be keeping that updated, as well.
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger