Mom & Me One Archive: 2002-2003
The definitive, eccentric journal of an unlikely caregiver.
As of 1/18/04 this journal continues at The Mom & Me Journals dot Net.

7 minute Audio Introduction to The Mom & Me Journals

My purpose in establishing and maintaining this journal
is to undermine the isolation of the caregiving experience
by offering all, especially our loved ones, a window into our lives.
As I post to this journal I think of our loved ones and their families,
how busy and involved we all are, and that,
if and when they come to this site they can be assured
that they will miss nothing in our lives and will, thereby, recognize us
and relax easily into our arms and our routines
when we are again face to face.

Legend of Journal Abbreviations
 APF = A Prescott Friend (generic) 
 DU = Dead Uncle 
 LTF = Long Time Friend a.k.a: 
   MFASRF = My Fucking Anal San Rafael Friend 
 MA = Mom's Accountant 
 MCF = My Chandler Friend(s) 
 MCS = My Colorado Sister 
 MDL = My Dead Lover 
 MFLNF = My Former Lover Now Friend 
 MLDL = My Long Distance Lover 
 MFA = Mom's Financial Advisor 
 MFS = My Florida Sister 
 MPBIL = My Phoenix Brother-in-Law 
 MPF = My Phoenix Friend (generic) 
 MPNC = My Phoenix NieCe 
 MPNP = My Phoenix NePhew 
 MPS = My Phoenix Sister 
 MS = Mom's Sister 
 MTNDN = My Treasured Next Door Neighor 
 OCC = Our Construction Company 
Tuesday, July 22, 2003
 
Mom is taking an hour nap.
    I decided that she'd drunk enough liquid (despite her protests and my continual, cautionary "Drink more, Mom,") in the last 4 hours so that an hour nap shouldn't hurt. I took the time to take a shower instead of the one I would normally take tomorrow, and update our progress through The Cleansing.
    I spoke with the colonoscopist's nurse today and had no problem getting across to her that we are most likely going to have a problem with dehydration, including giving her the details of my mother's daily dehydration index. She told me to allow her liquids until 0200 and to impress upon her that if she is not well enough hydrated when she comes in for the procedure and the crew has a problem finding a good vein for the purposes of administration of both medication and IV fluids, the procedure will be "much more traumatic" for her than it would normally be. This bothered me a little, as the story up to now is that colonoscopies are normally not traumatic. I haven't actually believed this, in regard to my mother, anyway, and have questioned it in regard to other of the elderly.
    We're on our way, though, and so far we're doing good. At 1500 I'll be guiding her into the bath, as I'm sure a bath will be impossible tomorrow before the procedure.
    One rather interesting bit of information of which I wish I'd been informed before today: It seems that broth is better than bouillon because it contains protein. Naturally, this wasn't indicated on the instructions, so I bought bouillon. But, I'm now draining all our cans of chicken for bouillon and this should do the trick.
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger